Studyit

Question 3 2020

Hello!
I have a question from 2020 paper Question 3 a ii)

My answer is below
From 60 -110, there are not enough data points to ensure the data really follows the trend line. From 110 onwards, the data follows the trend line quite well, although there is slight variation, so would consider strength to be moderately strong in the positive direction.

So I used the above explanation as part of my Q3 a iii) answer
However, the third point on the marking schedule for Q3 a iii) answer states that “the
smaller feet sizes have a stronger relationship, but the larger feet sizes have a weaker relationship.”

This is the opposite of what I said, and I don’t really understand how smaller feet have a stronger relationship because there are not enough data points to be sure that the lower value follows the trend line, and with the data points present, there is still variation.

Any clarification would be helpful!
Thanks

@11111111 I have the following feedback for you:

Q 3 a ii) They are just looking for you having put a trend line in an appropriate place and that you have commented on the strength of the fit. Here I wouldn’t worry too much on saying that there were not many small elephants.

Q 3 a iii) This does depend on where you put your line. I would say that the smaller feet size would be closer to the line of best fit, therefore having a “stronger relationship”. When you move further along the graph the weight do spread out more meaning the elephants with the larger feet have a weaker relationship as there is more variation of weights here. This could be due to a number of factors, remember the females are the grey dots and they seem to be more spread out than the black male squares. I would probably talk about how the females carry the babies so their weight would fluctuate more than males (however this is not on the schedule either!)
The other thing they are after here is for you to state what happens to the waist size as the foot size increases. You could mention the gradient based on your trendline or say that as the foot size increases that the waist size also increases in a linear pattern.

Hope this clarifies things a bit for you

Statistics is open for interpertation. The markers look for a reasonable explanation, not for following exact words. The 6 points for smaller feet size is not much data to make a strong conclusion, you are right. But all of them fit to the trendline, so it can be said that the relationship is strong. Your observation is valid and sensible and doesn’t contradict that despite the small sample size (for smaller feet) the points fit well with the trendline.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Yes statistics is definitely open to interpretation!

1 Like