Please Can I get some feedback on my Animal Farm essay

A memorable idea in George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’ is power corruption. Animal Farm is about some animals on the farm that chase Mr Jones away (The owner of the farm) then Napoleon (A Berkshire boar who represents Stalin) takes power over the farm and abuses the use of power to do what he wants. Throughout the book Napoleon abuses the use of power to keep everything under control on the farm.

George Orwell was born on 25 June 1903 and died on 21 January 1950. He was an English essayist and Novelist, journalist and critic. He took up writing at an early age, his first poem being around the age of 4. One of his first writing successes was in a local newspaper at the age of 11.

The idea of corruption is memorable to me because it is shown frequently throughout the book, like when Napoleon used his 9 dogs (similar to K.G.B) that he stole from their mother. He used them as a tool of intimidation and used fear to control the animals. “It was noticed that they wagged their tails to him in the same way as the other dogs had been used to do to Mr Jones.” This shows how Napoleon was abusing the use of power and how the dogs were loyal to him and no one else.

Another Idea of corruption is when Napoleon sells Boxer to the knackers (Horse slaughterer) and uses the earnings to buy lots of whiskey. This shows how he does not care for any of the other animals but himself and uses his power to get things for himself. “All animals are equal.” This is not shown through the book because Napoleon doesn’t care for any of the other animals. Napoleon is in charge and only does things for him only.

My final idea of corruption in the book is how Napoleon used Squealer (PRAVDA) to use propaganda and fear to control the animals. Squealer was very persuasive. “Tactics, comrades, tactics!” This was said by Squealer to manipulate the animals because they are not smart enough to know what it means and since it sounds so smart they accept whatever he says. Squealer changes and edits the seven commandments to suit the pigs. This shows how Napoleon had power over the farm and he used squealer’s persuasive language to control the animals.

This novel is relevant to us today because we live in a world with similar things going on in other countries such as North Korea, Kuba, China, etc. We live in a world where the government could end up like the pigs in ‘Animal Farm’ if they wanted too.

In conclusion, a memorable idea in ‘Animal Farm’ is Power corruption, shown through the book by Napoleon and the pigs. They use Fear/intimidation, propaganda, and lies to keep the animals at bay and under control. This is memorable to me because throughout the book this is shown and over time gets worse, at the end the pigs end up like the humans and the rest of the animals couldn’t tell the difference. “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which is which.”

Kiā ora and great to see you on Studyit.
The question you are exploring I think is…Describe a memorable idea. Explain why it is relevant???
Perhaps something you could begin an essay on this novel is that it is a satire on the misuse of power in Communist Russia. Then you don’t really need the background information on Orwell you add in paragraph two. The other information you give in the opening sets up the way Napoleon takes over and manipulates his power over others to get control . The reason you establish for the idea being memorable is that it appears many times throughout the novel. Maybe this could be developed a bit more. Eg. It shows how people can manipulate others using different methods and we can see how it is done, which is memorable. The examples you use are well chosen and supported. Perhaps a little more development of why it is relevant. Eg This novel is relevant to us today because we live in a world with similar things going on in other countries such as North Korea, Kuba, China, etc. How could that affect us? What are the implications? Is it telling us something about human nature? … The conclusion is solid, how about coming back to the author’s purpose in it. It is a way of tying an essay up effectively. :+1: