Huntington's disease - can you please give me feedback

Question: Huntington’s diseases occurs when a mutation causes a dominant affected allele (H). The normal allele is recessive (h). Using Huntington’s disease as an example, explain the relationship between DNA, genes, alleles, mutations and prototypes.

An allele is alternative versions of a gene. People inherit one allele for each gene from each parent. A gene is a specific section of DNA that holds the instruction for a particular characteristic or trait. DNA is a double helix were molecules are and where the genome is stored. DNA is made made up of nucleotide. Mutation occurs making a change in the DNA sequence in a cell. This can cause variation which is the difference that exits between members of the same species. The phenotype is the observable characteristic of an organism, as a result of their phenotype, which is the two organisms possesses for a particular gene for an example with Huntington disease (H,h).

Hi Charlotte,

You can compare your answer to mine here: NCEA Level 1 Science: Genetics AS 90948 - YouTube

Your answer looks really good. There are a couple of minor adjustments I would recommend:

An allele is alternative version of a gene. People inherit one allele for each gene from each parent. A gene is a specific section of DNA that holds the instruction for a particular characteristic or trait. DNA is the chemical on which the genome is stored, it makes structures in our cells called chromosomes, which are twisted into a double helix. DNA is made made up of a sequence of nucleotides. Mutation occurs making a random, unpredictable change in this sequence on a chromosome. Mutations that are passed on to offspring can lead to variation which is the difference that exists between members of the same species. The phenotype is the observable characteristic of an organism, as a result of their genotype, which is a representation of the two alleles possessed for a particular gene for an example with Huntington disease (H,h).

There will be a very similar example in the webinar at 4pm on Thursday 10th Nov, feel free to join.