Hi, is there anyone who is able to give feedback on my written text essay please? I would really appreciate it.

Written Text: Practise Exam

Novel: I Am Not Esther
Author: Fleur Beale

Question from 2021

Describe a challenging setting in the text. Explain how this setting was challenging to one or more characters or individuals.

In the novel I Am Not Esther, written by Fleur Beale, a challenging setting for Kirby was how the power/control she had was being taken away from her own identity by being forced into becoming Esther as she stayed with her Uncle Caleb. This challenging setting helped me to understand the challenges of how Kirby felt like her own identity was robbed away to fit into the expectations of the religion she was carelessly thrown into. Through the setting, the author’s purpose showed the readers that there are many challenges that teenagers go through to maintain their own identity as they struggle to cope in new surroundings.

In the beginning of the challenging setting where Kirby starts her first couple of days with Uncle Caleb, she is suddenly forced into changing her name. This made Kirby feel like her identity was being stripped away from her, making the emotions of anger and frustration gradually build inside of her as it gets to the point of when she shouts “I am not Esther, I am Kirby!”. Through the painful setting and this quoted use of Anaphora showed me that Kirby is clear in her mind about her identity. The repetition of the word “I am” highlighted the idea that she doesn’t want to follow the rules of The Children Of Faith by not agreeing with the change of name to Esther, as it is not part of who she is. This is because it feels as if Kirby’s identity is being taken away from her as the power she used to have over who she was as a person has disappeared. This showed us Kirby was a strong individual towards herself as she allowed nobody to change you into somebody you don’t want to be, by speaking up. The author’s purpose is to show that as a teenager who goes through changes of pressure and force around others to change their identity, we are able to overcome it by standing up for ourselves and the values we stand strong for. The author shows it when Kirby is able to justify who she is as she knows the values of being who you are and that nobody can tell you or make you do anything.

Throughout the challenging setting, the power and control over Kirby’s identity has slowly corrupted as it then started to grow stricter to the point Kirby was unable to do anything about the change. Conflicts caused to become and change into someone else, not only is she forced to change her name, but the way she dressed was not accepted as well. “You’re not fair! First you change my name, then you make me wear these stinking clothes!". The quoted use of the adjective showed me how Uncle Caleb has the control over Kirby that was out of her reach. The word “fair” highlighted the idea that Kirby has had enough and feels under threat by the force that feels manipulative in a way. Kirby finds it uncalled for and unfair as she had only started living with them due to her mother leaving her behind. The Pilgrim family belongs to a religious cult with beliefs that are strongly valued and strict upon their community, meaning Kirby has no choice but to follow alongside them as she remains under the same roof as them. The author’s purpose is to show that as a teenager who goes through changes of pressure and force around others to change their identity, you end up facing troubles that you cannot fix for yourself. The author shows it when Kirby feels trapped in a world that isn’t hers, forced to be someone she isn’t and forced to do things she would never want to do. Kirby just wants to breathe again, like she did before the mess started. Kirby just wants to be free.

Overall the challenging setting of Kirby living with her Uncle Caleb showed me how Kirby felt like her identity was robbed away to fit into the expectations of the religion she was carelessly thrown into. The power/control she had lost as Uncle Caleb had over Kirby, it enhanced the conflict of her not wanting to become Esther. Throughout the setting, the author’s purpose showed the readers that there are many challenges that teenagers go through to maintain their own identity as they struggle to cope in new surroundings.

Kiā ora and welcome to Studyit
A great introduction. You answer both parts of the question - the setting itself and why it was challenging ( power/control taken away) and also how it was challenging because her identity was challenged. Great also to go to the author’s purpose, because this let’s you delve a little deeper into the perceptive comments.
The body paragraphs are sensibly structured and provide specific and well chosen examples. You cover both parts of the question in them all.
You could perhaps work on developing the perceptive commentary - to be forced into behaving, dressing and having your name changed due to the pressures of a religious system strikes at the fundamental sense of self - it is not a belief system you have chosen but one that is forced on you and the huge challenge would be in maintaining the integrity of you as a person…
Hope this helps.
Cheers
JD :grinning:

This helps very much, thank you for the feedback!

Hi, sorry I know I posted this discussion awhile ago but my teacher has just marked my practise exam essay for me and I have a question. To get excellence we have to make connections to self, society of other texts right? But I’m unsure how I would make connections through that based of my essay. Would connecting it to other teenagers in our community and relating it of my character I am writing about (Kirby) be correct to reach an excellence?

Here is my fixed essay:

In the novel I Am Not Esther, written by Fleur Beale, a challenging setting for Kirby was how the power/control she had was being taken away from her own identity by being forced into becoming Esther as she stayed with her Uncle Caleb. The challenging setting at Uncle Caleb’s house helped me to understand the challenges of how Kirby felt like her own identity was robbed away to fit into the expectations of the religion she was carelessly thrown into, called The Children Of Faith. Through the setting, the author’s purpose showed the readers that there are many challenges that teenagers go through to maintain their own identity as they struggle to cope in new surroundings.

At the beginning of the text the first way the reader knows that this is a challenging setting is because Kirby is suddenly forced into changing her name. This made Kirby feel like her identity was being stripped away from her, making the emotions of anger and frustration gradually build inside of her as it gets to the point of when Uncle Caleb keeps calling her Esther, she then shouts “I am not Esther, I am Kirby!”. Through the painful setting and this quoted use of repetition through the phrase showed me that Kirby is clear in her mind about her identity. The repetition of the word “I am” as she said “I am Kirby” after saying “I am not Esther” highlighted the idea that she doesn’t want to follow the rules of The Children Of Faith by not agreeing with the change of name to Esther. To Kirby it is not part of who she is and who she is known for. It feels as if her identity was being taken away from her, locked up away to never be found as the powder she used to have over who she was has now disappeared. This showed us Kirby was a strong individual towards herself as she allowed nobody to change you into somebody you don’t want to be, by speaking up. The author’s purpose is to show that as a teenager who goes through changes of pressure and force around others to change their identity, they are able to stand strong and be proud of their own identity and self worth such as our name to remind others of who we are. The author shows it when Kirby is able to justify who she is as she knows the values of being who you are and that nobody can tell you or make you do anything.

Throughout the challenging setting at Uncle Caleb’s house, the power and control over Kirby’s identity has slowly corrupted as it then started to grow stricter to the point Kirby was unable to do anything about the change. The conflict caused Kirby to become and change into someone else, but not only is she forced to change her name, but the way she dressed was not accepted as well. “You’re not fair! First you change my name, then you make me wear these stinking clothes!". The quoted use of the adjective showed me how Uncle Caleb has the control over Kirby that was out of her reach. The word “fair” highlighted the idea that Kirby has had enough and feels under threat by the force that feels manipulative in a way. Kirby decides to break that control as it gets to the point of where her anger again can no longer be kept inside. Uncle Caleb challenges Kirby that she will get prayed over after Kirby shouted “It’s my hair and I’ll wear it how I like!” but refuses by cutting her Godly braid with a knife due to feeling suffocated. The Pilgrim family belongs to a religious cult with beliefs that are strongly valued and strict upon their community, meaning Kirby has no choice but to follow all aspects of the rule that Uncle Caleb enforces as she remains under the same roof as them. To be forced into behaving, dressing and having your name changed due to the pressures of a religious system strikes upon the fundamental sense of self. As it is not a belief system Kirby had chosen but it is one that is forced on you giving the challenge of how she must maintain the integrity of herself as a person. The author’s purpose is to show that as a teenager who goes through changes of pressure and force around others to change their identity, you end up facing troubles that you cannot fix for yourself. The author shows it when Kirby feels trapped in a world that isn’t hers, forced to be someone she isn’t and forced to do things she would never want to do. Kirby just wants to breathe again, like she did before the mess started. Kirby just wants to be free.

Overall the challenging setting of Kirby living with her Uncle Caleb showed me how Kirby felt like her identity was robbed away to fit into the expectations of the religion she was carelessly thrown into. The power/control she had lost as Uncle Caleb had over Kirby, it enhanced the conflict of her not wanting to become Esther. Throughout the setting, the author’s purpose showed the readers that there are many challenges that teenagers go through to maintain their own identity as they struggle to cope in new surroundings.

Kiā ora lorain11uy
A good question. I think I talked about author’s purpose when I looked at this before and that is where the broadening and connections come from.
Just imagine that Beale had some really important things to say about life - it is those things that are her underlying purpose. and those things that you are trying to make the connections to.
So - Power and control - the nature of identity. A name is a thing that defines us, we are recognised by it and we are defined by it. It is something that was given to us and has grown with us.If that name is taken away it must be for reasons of control. By giving us another name, whoever it is that takes it, is seeking to control us in some way and make us not the person we think we are. They are doing so to exert control and have us do things we would not otherwise do and believe things we would not otherwise believe. This is something that sects and other religious groups try and do, to make us people who will act as they want us to and come under their control. It takes enormous strength to go against this and to exert our own individuality, but if we want to stay true to ourselves and maintain a sense of self and our worth we must do so. If we lose the notion of who we are and what we are as a result we will suffer.
If you look at this - it covers what happens to Kirby, but also to a much broader base - Polonius who is a character in Hamlet says very similar things, for example. But it expresses a sort of truth about what it means to be human - that is the sort of connection you are looking to make.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
Cheers
JD :grinning:

Thank you so much! This answer is very clear and helpful :blush: