English 2.8 information literacy

My hypothesis for this standard is “there is no such thing as seperate but equal”
The topic is related to racism. I am really confused about how to make my conclusions perceptive for this specific topic. Please could you give an example of something perceptive I could say in relation to this topic because I am still very confused

My two focus questions are “What was the separate but equal doctrine, and how did it impact African American people?” and “Why did segregation result in inequity?” Are these questions sufficient to get excellence?

Also, I am confused about what it means to be insightful. Does this mean criticising the source?

Thank you

Kia ora ano Charlotte,

If you look at these focus questions and ask yourself which ones are likely to lead to answers that show the most original thinking, you might be able to see which ones are more likely to help you develop insightful or perceptive answers. It’s hard, for example, to say something you’ve thought of yourself if you’re answering the first question. Presumably, the answer to that is pretty fixed. There will be no end of sources that have a definition of the doctrine. It’s like asking ‘what is a combustion engine.’ You can explain it perfectly , but it won’t really involve any insights, ideas, or perceptive thinking of your own.

The second one gives you much more scope. As you explore the effect on African American people - beyond saying it was bad - you’ll be learning and making interesting observations about racism during the Jim Crow period, and maybe the ways in which it is still prevalent today in the US, and perhaps elsewhere. That’s when you’ll read sources that may cause you to think of something yourself. That’s an insight.

Your third question looks at the relationship between segregation and inequity, which is central to your hypothesis. That could also lead to some insightful observations about inequity. Is it the same as inequality?

So I’d rethink the first question if I were you. You want focus questions that lead to deeper, thoughtful discoveries rather than straight definitions.

And be sure to relate all your answers to these focus questions to your hypothesis. Essentially you’re saying that segregation leads to inequity, which is a great idea to explore.

Keep up the great work!