Can someone answer some questions I have about the paper please?

For reference, I’m aiming for an E in this standard

-What are some differences, and how do I compare and contrast herbivore, carnivore and omnivores gut and digestive systems (not teeth- i understand that)

• How do I answer a long answer that is like ‘Discuss how different parts of the circulatory system work together’

• is anaerobic respiration required in the heart when fast activity is occuring? when fast activity is occuring do only the muscle cells undergo anaerobic respiration while the eg skin cells are aerobic?

thanks

Hi mego

Apologies for the delayed reply :frowning:
For some reason, the daily notification didn’t come in.

I understand you have sat the exam already, however, hopefully the reply might give you some idea for when you receive your paper back as valuable feedback.

Q1: * How do I answer a long answer that is like ‘Discuss how different parts of the circulatory system work together

As with most questions in Bio, you will notice that the bullet points building up to the last bullet point, often are linked together in some way. What you need to do is to be able to plan out how you should answer these bullet points. Also do not forget to read the main “over-arching” question as sometimes the bullet points do not include the main question.
Structuring your answering all the way to E for a question such as this will require you to use specific parts of the circulatory system in your answer and linking it to their function. You will note that the word parts (plural) is used in the question. This means at least TWO organs in the circulatory system that you will have to include in your answer.
This is a similar strategy you can apply to any bio question. If you see a plural, be sure to include more than one.
There should be some Merit opportunities before this where you have to explain (how or why) the circulatory system is related to (chemical & mechanical) digestion. So building your answer up from here you would have to most likely link it to further biological ideas, such as how these organs work together efficiently and link it to the example/context given in the question. Without any further context (which is usually the case in most Bio questions) it is difficult to provide any further feedforward at this stage.

Q2:
Anaerobic and aerobic respiration are different processes.
Aerobic happens with oxygen
Anaerobic happens withOUT oxygen.
*** is anaerobic respiration required in the heart when fast activity is occuring?**
Not quite sure where this question is coming from, but respiration occurs in the CELL (aerobic in mitochondria, and anaerobic in the cytoplasm - glycolysis, usually for animal cells)
If the heart is pumping faster, this would often indicate strenuous physical activity, hence some cells might be carrying out anaerobic and some cells might be carrying out aerobic, depending on how much oxygen can arrive/diffuse into those cells. It can be a mix. However, I do not think you would have to answer questions for Level 1 to this depth. It will often be linked to other life processes or some context.

Hope that helps!